Saturday, April 21, 2012

Soap

Now, I was rather under the impression you generally needed two types of cleaning materials for general shower-related hygiene, those being soap/body wash and shampoo. One cleans bodies, one cleans hair. Add to that conditioner if you want smooth hair that's easier to brush, facial scrub, things like that.

When last in the shower I discovered my razor had moved yet again from where it was propped next to my body wash. Which meant that my roommate was probably using the body wash (I assume she wasn't after my razor.) I don't mind sharing my body wash, but I was confused because the only reason my razor was next to my body wash was because the spot it previously occupied was now taken up with some sort of soap bar. If she had a soap bar, why was she using my body wash?

"It's facial soap, or that's what she told me," David said.

Facial soap bar? At that point, that was just too many soaps. I already had body wash, facial scrub, and my DreadheadHQ Dread Soap, and of course razor and shaving cream. Why couldn't just one soap bar do it all?

It made me think about the Knottyboy bar soap.


[Image from Knottyboy.com]

Now, I don't know if these would pass Jonny Clean's check for soap. He says if you wash your hands with the soap and can smell some sort of fragrance on them afterward, they have a residue (the stuff clinging to your hands.) You aren't supposed to put residues into your dreads because they'll build up in the inside, attract moisture, grow mold, and then the mold will die and stink and be "dread rot."

A lot of the natural/neglect dreadheads from the dreadlockssite seem keen on mixing their own.

I like scent and shampoo. And I'm a sucker for good branding. So I must say, these dreadlock soap bars seem highly appealing. Knottyboy markets them as for "use on hair, bodies, faces, Grandpas, babies, pets, dishes, travel, stain removal..." Doesn't that sound fun? And a whole bunch of attractive scents...

Still, they don't say "residue-free." And their general advice is to wash your scalp and then let the diluted soapy water flow down over your dreads. Will that get residues in them? I don't know. The product shown is for mature dreads. It's also biodegradable, so good for camping and such as all the materials will just wash away.

Will I ever use this product? I don't know. I'm wary of stuff that isn't residue free (I'm assuming it isn't because it never claims to be). But, it seems like the ideal soap bar that washes everything. Imagine being able to cut down to one bar!

1 comment:

  1. u analyze the washing process like I did the knotting process.

    ReplyDelete