Wednesday, April 4, 2012

First Washing

Yesterday I washed my hair. Big deal, right?

Washing hair with dreads is supposed to be more washing the scalp and rinsing through the dreads. And when they are new, it also involves a nylon. On your head. I'm sure I looked quite foolish. But the nylon is supposed to keep more of the hair in at the roots. I was hoping that I'd wash more wax out, even though I need it... I just don't like the feel and don't like my dreads acting like wires.

After I washed them I sprayed them down with Locking Accelerator, squeezed them out, put them in a towel, and then blow dried them. Supposedly it was supposed to be a pretty good condition to make new knots in them by dread balling, palm rolling, and clockwise rubbing, but I think I still had too much wax in my hair. And I am inept at the tools I bought. Hair just doesn't seem to want to dread ball, even with the Peppa. So I just clockwise rubbed and palm rolled. The dreads themselves look decent, but my crazy tips screw up the overall effect and make them look similar to braids that have been left in straight hair for like three days.

Supposedly, skinny dreads should thicken out as long as you made the section sizes right, but I'm still rather worried.

My step brother-in-law (so my husband's step brother) had what I consider to be a positive reaction, said me getting dreads was bad a** with a lot of exclamations of surprise. We were helping move my sister-in-law and I had been wearing my tam, but was getting warm. So I whipped it off and put my headband in. At first I wasn't sure what he was shouting about. He couldn't believe I'd do that.

Here are some horrid pictures for documentation purposes. Don't look at them.


Me in my sleeping nylon. Makes me glad it is normally dark. To protect them, I just tuck all of the dread potentials up in the nylon. I don't know what I'd do if they were longer.



My dread padawans remain in the same position even without the nylon cause of the wax. Equally absurd.



After the first wash. They retained shape fairly well, just became a little more fluffy.



Here's a snake I saw while biking! The picture doesn't show how big it actually was (it would reach past my knee straight up) or how cool it slithered... snakes rock.

1 comment:

  1. You're so funny. I so thought that about my tips too. My hair was very uneven at the ends cuz of the hair style I used to have. We just banded em up and left em all like whispy paint brushes. And as far as the wax went.. I was very fearful of getting it stuck in my dreads (only because i looked at some anti DreadHeadHQ website) so I never washed with a nylon and I hot rinsed every time I washed. However, the maintenance after the wash was extensive. I made sure that I had only a detectable amount of wax. And, I totally had to get someone to use the loose hair tool on me tho cuz it's ridiculous trying to use that on yourself in the mirror. I also found that sleeping with the nylon made my dreads go in the wrong directions like sideways and upways lol.

    ReplyDelete