Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The Horror

So I've started rebackcombing (read: David started) some of my babies. It has been the most painful part of this process so far. And I don't mean physical, although it was a bit. It hurt me somewhere to know that I was restarting my dreadies. The only way I managed it was the firm belief that they weren't going to lock if I left them. The ones I pulled out were almost all loose hair. I believe they are a minority, but it feels like I keep finding them.

There are also several that have loose hair in the middle, but knots on the top and bottom. Supposedly they can be fixed, but I haven't had a whole lot of luck with that technique yet. Probably just doing it wrong. Anyway, if I know they can be fixed, I'll worry about them later.

Some I'm not going to worry about much anyway. They are so short, once they do grow out, the section  I have now will only be the tip.

Or maybe I'll still worry. I worry obsessively over anything I feel responsible for.

Also, Jonny Clean recommended doing a hot rinse to get all the wax out before rebackcombing. "Nah, they don't have that much wax in them," I thought. Turns out, you try to comb them out with even a little wax in there the comb catches and pulls at your hair or pulls out your hair. Overall, bad idea. I'm beginning to think he says things for a reason (read: no, duh).

Hopefully once I'm done with all this, they'll be better and more dread-like than they were before. It's not like I lost three weeks of progress. They weren't progressing, so I lost nothing. More like I know now I've wasted time in relation to them. That's why I'm in such a hurry to get them rebackcombed. Now I can start those dreadies moving forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment