Friday, April 20, 2012

Knottyboy

So, I've spent some time going over the Knottyboy website. They have a decent amount of content, FAQs, and products. One of the things I liked a lot was a couple different sources giving the history of dreadlocks. Seems not everyone agrees to where they really came from. At the end, they have a link to the Wikipedia.org article as well.

Their method appears similar to DreadheadHQ at first glance, with backcombing and palm rolling being staples, along with special wax and shampoo. However, Knottyboy appears to use a lot more wax, making big poofy sections of hair and then waxing them into submission, using wax and palm rolling to get them into a dread shape. They then recommend putting in more wax twice a week for the first two to six months.

Does this work better or worse? I'm hardly one to say. It's different. My hair would look fairly similar without wax. I don't even have that much wax in it. And Jonny Clean has a waxless dread kit to start without it if you were so inclined. And Knottyboy recommends a lot less washing (none in the first two weeks, and then only once a week afterward) and they recommend putting in wax at the roots to help it dread as it comes in. DHHQ has you clockwise rub the roots (which again, I can't tell how much it helps because I've only had these for almost three weeks) and wash three to four times a week. Jonny Clean likes being clean.

Their shampoo also does not appear to be "residue-free," but they recommend only washing the scalp the soapy water flowing down will clean dreads on the way out.

They don't use rubberbands. I imagine putting wax at the roots helps keep those in with their respective dread, and they roll the tip around on their palm to try and achieve the rounded tip, although it appears that will only come with time. It also appears that their only maintenance is more wax and more palm rolling.

So... different. Maybe better, maybe worse. I must say, they have really fun branding and a nice selection of really cute hats, tams, and wraps. I may end up buying some stuff from them. I don't know if I'm going to try the shampoo out as it might not be residue free, but they say it works on dandruff fairly well, so might be worth a go.

As it currently is, I'm going to continue with DreadheadHQ.

In that note, I keep finding some straighter spots, maybe even some locks that feel straighter. I'm scared I'd have to rebackcomb those, as that pretty much (supposedly) restarts the locking process. I'm worried I may have done it to some of those with the Lock Sculpta (pull too hard and you can break the hair). I emailed Jonny Clean to see what he'd say about some of the things I read about yesterday, and I also asked him about the straight spots. We'll see if he gets back to me.

Here's a picture of me after waking up without wearing anything over my dreads.

1 comment:

  1. When you get out of the shower, dry your dreads with the hair-dryer first into the way u want them to go.. then go under..

    so yeah.. Knotty Boy and DreadHead have on thing in common.. that's get em locked, get em stuck then wash em after a couple days.. Even tho I don't have experience with KB's products I feel good with DH.

    ReplyDelete