Thursday, April 19, 2012

Opposing View

It would be one-sided of me if I only included DreadHeadHQ stuff. I usually mention that because that's the plan I'm working with.

But, there are opposing views. Jonny Clean has a page trying to address the idea that wax is bad for your dreads. I can't say one way or the other, I don't even have a three week dreadiversary. But apparently there are dreadheads out there who believe that wax, and other DHHQ products ruined their dreads.

Geez, I hope not. I hope they don't ruin mine.

Now, the other site appears to be a forum called dreadlockssite.com. The main opponent of DHHQ and Jonny Clean is a neglect dreadhead with the tag "soaring eagle [some symbol I can't reproduce]." I'm a little confused, because he seems to have so much hate, but at one point, he said that he couldn't review the products because he never used them, his dreads came together from the so-called "neglect" method. And yet he directs so much hate toward DHHQ. I really have to wonder.

Also, capitalization and punctuation and spelling seemed to have escaped this person in the strength of his emotions. All other things aside, I have a hard time taking credibly someone who doesn't bother to punctuate.

All that aside, they have some claims. Claims that the DHHQ products can ruin your dreads, ruin your hair, and were invented so you would buy more products trying to fix them. Claims that wax never comes out of your hair, locking accelerator does nothing, lock peppa is for removing hair from cat ears (ok, what insane person tries to take hair out of cat ears? Leave the poor animals alone). I can't speak for these claims.

And it seems there is a large amount of evidence on both sides. Aside from the reviews on the website, DHHQ also has all the social media sites, and a good portion of those seem to be positive as well. The only reason I went searching for alternate views was because someone posted the claim that their products ruined your dreads on the DHHQ Facebook page. The one dissenting opinion I'd seen. When I went looking for information, I found several different hits, all to this forum and the same guy leading the charge. And there are a lot of people there, saying the same thing. Don't do it. Wax is bad. DHHQ is evil.

I really hate when there are opinions both ways. Because I want fact.

Like I said, I can't speak with validity on either of these subjects. The problems in my hair appear to be from the backcombing (that is, a few straight spots), and they are a bit thin for my liking, but since me and my friends put them in, I'd say that was more our fault. My hair is a bit sticky, usually from the lock accelerator and slightly from the wax, but mostly that is under the surface. Like the dreads keep shape and are sometimes a tad stiff, but not particularly sticky. The shampoo doesn't make my hair oily and while I can't tell what it does to my dreadies, I know from the two weeks before I put them in that it gives the hair a lot more friction. I don't know what Lock Accelerator does, but people keep saying it is like seawater. Whatever that does, apparently people like it. I don't use much of the Peppa, but it appears to do what it says, i.e. give you more friction to roll hair into balls to stick back in the dread.

I find the Loose Hair Tool 2.0 rather fishy, because the end is so big and the clasp likes to try and get caught. I do a lot with the Lock Sculpta, the tiny crochet hook, but not all of that seems to stay. I like the Head Honcho hair pick. I don't know how well the Dread Butta works as it is like hair lotion and my hair shouldn't need lotion yet, but I'm thinking for ease of application, I'd be interested in their sprays. My scalp itches occasionally, but usually just the day before I wash it. I have dandruff, but to be honest, I had issues with that beforehand. I might try taking their advice and getting the Wal-Mart anti-dandruff stuff. Used to be I'd just switch to a Head and Shoulders shampoo every time I got it, that'd work for a while, then switch to something else when it came back. Variation.

There is another dreadlock product site out there called Knottyboy. It receives both hate and good feelings, obviously from different places.

Just thought you should know.

1 comment:

  1. Favorite Post by Far !!!!
    so I may comment bit by bit (btw my comments are only relative never subjective)

    "When I went looking for information, I found several different hits, all to this forum and the same guy leading the charge. And there are a lot of people there, saying the same thing. Don't do it. Wax is bad. DHHQ is evil."


    I was merely searching for a forum of 'dread-ers' to relate to. To see what they went thru - that sorta thing, right? So I came upon the same site and learned that they were nothing more than haters. (btw I love the grammar comment cuz that was one of my major turn offs to this 'so-called sensei' of dreads. I was so close to the anti-wax idea.) However I read Johnny's rebuttal and was convinced back into neutral/ignorance (not saying that negatively but i really didn't know what I was doing so I was back into that stance once again after some extensive re-search about my dreadies (padawan's as I once called them too - I'm a trekkie and a nerd).
    I also loved the point that this 'dude' had no experience with the products what-so-ever in moderation or excess. So who's he, right?!

    -Next-

    "I find the Loose Hair Tool 2.0 rather fishy, because the end is so big and the clasp likes to try and get caught. I do a lot with the Lock Sculpta, the tiny crochet hook"

    I do hope you found out that by this time (cuz even tho I'm still reading your past, you may have learned already) that those straight parts are normal. Now I found no evidence to back this up i.e. forum (with use of products) FB posts, or DHHQ posts, but, I know this is true cuz it happened to several of my dreadies at infrequent and non-sequential times.

    So I found that while I could blindly just charge upon my locks with fierce atonement using my crochet/sculpta, I achieved the locking and knotting necessary to make 'em even. HOWEVER, the 'tool' I could not grasp. Note that since I have 3/4 inch sections I got the small 'tool'. I wanted small locks since I sport a fauxhawk (of sorts).

    I want to interject here that the small tool WILL break if you aren't careful - but I knew that before I bought it [I purchased the Ultra Dread Kit)

    So I bought the 'tool' first, however, I had no use for it until I decided to blunt my ends. When I realized I had no use for the 'tool' I bought the 'sculpta'.
    Dude, this was like putting color to a painting. It was spectacular what that tool will do.
    I suggest using the 'sculpta' half as much as you palm roll. It kinda feigns back-combing, yeah? It helps knot the loose hair less than it does the already back-combed hair.

    "I don't know how well the Dread Butta works as it is like hair lotion and my hair shouldn't need lotion yet..."

    I don't have the 'butta'. In my understanding, it's only needed when the wax is no longer used. But the wax could be usd in the same respect as the butta.. Only you must respect it more. As in be very careful using it as a moisturizing agent. But I'm not there yet. At this point, hun, we should not be putting 'butta' on our hairs. Only wax, rinse peppa.

    And I looked at Knotty Boy only after the whole 'Wax Scare' and they used way more wax than I would have.
    BTW when back-combing I made sure they were tight like dreads.. not fluffy like 80s hair.

    ReplyDelete