Saturday, June 30, 2012

Thirteen Weeks/ Three Months

So yeah, I missed a week. Been kind of busy. And last week was my birthday and everyone wanted to spend time with me. It was fun.

But yeah, by three months I was hoping to have full dreads, and it looks like that is not yet the case. But I'm trying not to worry because the most recent Lock-Up Date said that if you go for thinner dreads like mine, it will probably take longer for them to lock. Like only a few will probably be all nice and firm. Which is rather where mine are at.

So trying not to worry. And now I need to teach myself how to use the Loose Hair Tool because I hadn't been using it because it was too big for my dreads, but now I have a tiny version and have no excuse not too. I also think I need to go back and rewatch some of the videos on using the various tools. Get a refresher.

Note, I got the tiny loose hair tool through a sweet deal from DreadheadHQ. They offered a deal where I'd get the swag pack and a loose hair tool just by buying some stuff called Dread-Licious. Brand name, of course. It is spray-on scented stuff that helps nourish your hair. And makes mine smell like vanilla. So I was planning to buy that eventually anyway and I got all this cool stuff to go with it!

But onward. I was prepared for negative attention when I got dreads, like stereotyping, staring, and odd questions. I wasn't prepared to be receiving complements for the first time in my life from random strangers. I had someone honk at me and yell "Hey, sexy!" I had a guy today say something about me or my dreads looking good and give me a thumbs up from his car. Another guy waved in passing. People will just say out of the blue, "I love your hair!" And they do ask questions. Another person didn't seem to think much of them in comparison to his friend's until he found they were only two months old.

Basically, all this attention is a little bizarre. Because my hair is different. It isn't like my old hair was bad-looking, just bland. Entirely normal and uninteresting. And now it's fun and different. I said I didn't think I'd do it again if I somehow lost them... but I look at my old pictures and think how boring my hair was.

And now my relatives are warming up to it as well. Mom thinks me wearing a headband is really cute. My Aunt Cindy was quoted saying it was cute, and apparently even my grandma told my mom "it's just hair, Dar."

Things are looking up.


1 comment:

  1. Updates? How is the dreadies project coming along? Mine are giving me serious grief at the moment, looking for consolation that all of this work will pay off :)

    ReplyDelete