Thursday, March 29, 2012

"Preparing your mind for Dreadlocks"

Title is in quotes 'cause I snitched it from the DreadHeadHQ site. They say you have to have a reason for getting dreadlocks, and you have to know your reason because things are about to get rough. It seems that a vast majority of the public seem to think that getting dreadlocks is akin to growing a hippie bum on your head. Jonny Clean, from DreadHeadHQ, calls people's perceptions of you "dirty hippie burnout bum." Among other things, I intend to prove dreadlocks can be clean. I very much like being clean, and as such, me and camping don't always get along.

But, I need a reason. Also recommended is making a "dread resolution." To quote, directly from the site, "Since Dreadlocks are a journey that you're starting, a changing point in your life, now is a great time to start other long-term journeys that have been on your mind."

So reason, dread resolution, and stuff. You can't forget the stuff.

First, let's go into why I want to get dreadlocks. And please, if you stumble across this blog and just totally don't agree, be civil about it. This is my reason. I want dreadlocks partially because once they mature, they don't ever need to be brushed or styled and they always look good! That is my opinion, I realize some may find that debatable. I also realize I have to go through months of not looking good to reach this. In this stuff section, you will find "tam" for the bad days.

Those are the practical ones. I also want dreads because I think they are cool, and I want to be different and step out in a direction that I encounter resistance. I am essentially a pansy. I was scared to quit my job even though I hated it, scared to tell Mom I was getting dreads, and I still haven't said a word on that point to my father, though I'm sure he will know. I just couldn't stand up to the lecture about being a "responsible young woman." So I want to overcome my fear of people, and this will also thrust me out into, possibly, notoriety. I will suddenly be more remembered (hard to forget someone with dreads in Iowa) and therefore more accountable. And while I find that scary (I do have a bit of a temper), I also find it a challenge. An unofficial resolution is to cling to God more... because if I am going to be more accountable, I really need His help. Perhaps I can become a better witness because of it. Also, I want to change social stereotypes. I want to prove someone can have dreadlocks and be responsible, creative, political, whatever. I am harboring dreams of entering politics someday. I'm not promising I'd do it with dreads, but if I do, I'd like dreads to not be a factor. Age, race, sex, hairstyle, clothing style, I don't want any of that to matter. I want to change norms.

And as for my dread resolution, I want to be more healthy. I'm biking a lot in preparation for RAGBRAI, the annual Iowa bike marathon. It's a long stretch and I need to be prepared. (Oh! Threadless has biking t-shirts! I love Threadless!) Also, I am trying to cut unnecessary calories, eat more fruits and veggies, and stop drinking Dr Pepper... as much. I have actually made it through, like, three days without Dr Pepper. You should be proud.

Jonny Clean said you knew you were ready for dreadlocks when you pretty much became obsessed with them... and I've been obsessed with them since I wrote a short story where the imaginative side of me encountered the side of me that had no inhibitions on a train... and the side of me with no inhibitions had dreadlocks. I found DreadHeadHQ just checking to see if white people with my hair type could grow dreads... and been thinking about it ever since.

No comments:

Post a Comment